1. Don’t tell me everything will get better. Fibromyalgia is a neurological condition with no cure. We can’t predict the course it will take. Some people find improvement, while others may never find any relief.
2. Don’t tell me to get more sleep because I say I’m fatigued. Did you know with fatigue, sleep does not improve the situation. Don’t get me wrong sleep is important, but with chronic fatigue, no matter how much sleep you get you don’t feel refreshed!
3. Don’t tell me to exercise. We are constantly told to exercise to improve fibromyalgia symptoms. Exercise may help relieve some symptoms, but it is not a cure!
4. Don’t tell me at least it isn’t fatal. It might not be fatal, but living with chronic pain 24/7 is life altering and debilitating. Fibromyalgia wears you down little by little. A chronic illness diagnosis is almost like getting a life sentence.
5. Don’t tell me I should get a job to distract my pain. If I could work I would. If my doctor deems me not fit to work, that is just how it is going to be.
6. Don’t tell me you also have the same aches and pains as I do. We may both have back pain, knee pain ect, but chronic pain is more intense then your regular sore back from sitting too long in an office chair.
7. Don’t ever tell me it is all in your head. This comment shows me lack of respect and understanding! If you must know it is all in my head – its a neurological condition!
8. Don’t ever say you are too young to have fibromyalgia. Age has nothing to do with it. Even children can be diagnosed with fibromyalgia!
9. Don’t ever say fibromyalgia isn’t real. If fibromyalgia wasn’t a real condition doctors would not be diagnosing so many people with it. There is also research to back up fibromyalgia does exist. It is just not well understood!
10. Do not ever tell me I don’t look sick! Fibromyalgia is an invisible condition – with over 100 symptoms.